Sunday, May 31, 2015

OHSS

30 March 2015

My tummy was as big as a 5 month pregnant woman's belly and I had severe diarrhoea. So I went to see Dr Robert Alief. Dr CL's nurses recommended Dr Andi Hudono as he is their main contact in Jakarta, but he was on leave that day.

After he scanned my tummy, he said I had OHSS - Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome, which is a side effect of the hormone injections I was taking before the OPU. It is common for women who have undergone fertility treatments. There is no medicine for it, the treatment is only by eating lots and lots of protein... which means 5 egg whites a day and whatever other proteins of my likings.

OHSS was a bitch, I couldn't sleep on my side because I could feel that something is inside my stomach and I went to the toilet for more than 5 times a day. Dr Alief said the good news is that it is normally the first sign that the IVF programme worked. Fingers crossed..... and fortunately the OHSS inconveniences disappeared after about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment